Sunday, February 5, 2012

Testimony

I know that each trial or test, if we endure it well, is actually a blessing. I hate how narrowminded we are as humans. If only we could see the bigger picture. Then maybe we wouldn't see things as trials but merely as a means for blessings and growth that wouldn't have come otherwise. When I first came back to school, I was broken hearted. My best friend and boyfriend was staying home to prepare for his mission. I was so upset that I was stubborn and narrowminded that all I could think about was how much I wanted him to be here with me. Deegan needed to decide what date to put on his mission papers for availability; if it should be in March right after his birthday, or in April so that I could see him again before he left. We both prayed for an answer what he should choose. At first, I was praying that we would know what to do, but I'm pretty sure I was praying that he would leave in April. As I kept praying and pondering this, I came to realize that no matter what, it would work out, whether I get to see him again or not. I knew he should put close to his birthday and that everyting would be how it should be. I felt afterwards that my Heavenly Father was giving me a hug because I felt soo much peace and happiness. I know that he is always ready to give me a hug, I just need to go to Him.
After feeling peaceful about that decision, I then felt so lonely because my best friend wasn't here. I decided to be pro active in finding a new friend. I really didn't think that I would find anyone that would be my best friend or even compare to the friendship that Deegan and I have, because well he has been my only friend for almost 3 years. I started out by inviting a few different people I knew to do things. Like lunch or a movie or whatever. I hung out with Julie Linton for a while, but soon found that she would always be there for me and a good friend that we probably would never be best friends. I thought that my roommate Ashley could be my new best friend, but even though we are alike and really good friends, just not quite best friends. So that left Sarah. At first I was discouraged because she was really really busy. But I kept trying and we did hang out a few times and it was so fun and helped me get over not having Deegan here so much. I think the moment when we really became best friends was January 20. I was doing my laundry and stressing out because we had a cleaning check. I was leaving the laundromat when Sarah and Ayne walked by. We decided to have a movie night and make pizza and had soda! gasp! lol We watched Jane Eyre and had a great time. We talked a little after too about boys and I had forgotten how nice it was to have a 'girl' friend. (No offense deegs. ;) Love you!) Now I have become great friends with Sarah and her roommates too that I dont know what I would do with out them! they are definitely a blessing that came from having Deegan stay home and I thank my Heavenly Father every night for putting them in my life.
"and thus we see" that God's plan is much sweeter than mine. Without what has happened I never would have made a best friend with Sarah and her roommates and I never would have grown to know how Christ and Heavenly Father are always there looking out for me. I am glad I learned this before Deegan left on his mission and not after because it will make the next two years so much easier.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh! Shayla I love you too and you are my best friend!!!! Come over whenever and just so you know you are my best friend. :) Love ya bunches, and now I feel bad that I haven't written about you yet, so I will soon. :)

    ReplyDelete